It is downright astonishing the amount of havoc children can wreak on a house in less than an hour. Trying to take care of the kids and their endless needs usually means your house looks like a crime scene. If you’re not careful, you can end up in a dreadful cycle where you are constantly cleaning and tidying, but nothing actually stays clean. Here are my top seven cleanup hacks for busy moms.
1. Set specific times for quick cleaning. I’ve set certain times throughout the day for quick 10-15 minute clean ups. First is immediately after waking, I make the beds and put the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher. Next, I do a quick pick up with my toddler’s help after lunch/before nap time. Then after bath/before winding down for bedtime, we put away all the toys and books and close the playroom for the evening. After the girls are down for the night, I do my final cleanup of the kitchen, fold some laundry and any other task that is impossible to do with little ones in tow. You can decide how many times a day you need to tidy based on your schedule. The most important thing to remember is to keep them quick – no more than 15 minutes!
2. Use lint rollers to pick up glitter. My daughter loves craft time and I dread the clean up afterwards, especially if it involves glitter and googly eyes – two things that are an absolute pain to clean up and stick to everything! For quick crafting clean ups, use a lint roller to quickly collect glitter, googly eyes and all those other pesky, minuscule craft pieces. Try a washable one like this set from Simply Good Stuff. No lint roller? Use a ball of Play Dough instead!
3. Nothing says #momlife more than your beautifully painted walls turned into Crayon canvases. For Crayon marks on the walls, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does the trick. When Crayon marks get onto fabric and clothing, spray with WD-40 and wash as usual.
4. Did your little Picasso use a Permanent Marker to make a masterpiece on your wooden furniture or floors? No worries! Just apply toothpaste to the marks and with a little elbow grease it will be as good as new. Click here for a spot removal guide for wood furniture and floors.
5. Tired of cleaning the baseboard? Next time you clean them, wipe them down with a dryer sheet to help repel dust and pet hair. An added bonus is that they will make your house smell good as well!
6. Shower heads stained and dingy? Fill a plastic bag with white vinegar and tie it on and leave it overnight. In the morning, rinse with warm water and they’ll look sparking new with very little effort. The Vinegar Institute has a whole slew of uses for Vinegar. Check out the impressive list here.
7. For stinky microwave messes, fill a microwave safe bowl with equal parts water and lemon juice and cook on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl and wipe the microwave clean with a wet sponge. It deodorizes and makes clean up quick and easy!
What are some of your go-to tips for quick clean ups around the house?